The Texan’s spring cleaning guide for any dorm

Analise Pickerrell

As the sun sets later and the weather warms, a sense of renewal sweeps over many people, often beginning with their living spaces. For everyone from seasoned cleaning pros to independent living beginners, The Daily Texan curated a guide to help students feel motivated and inspired all season long. 

Maintain a hygienic environment

In shared living spaces, maintaining a clean environment proves essential for preventing harmful germs and viruses. Utilize an all-purpose cleaner or disinfectant spray to wipe down all surfaces, including bathrooms if students have one. Although often forgotten, don’t overlook commonly touched surfaces, and be sure to sanitize door handles and light switches also.

Clean out the closet

Bid farewell to any unnecessary clothes. Instead of tossing them out, The Texan encourages students to donate their items to local organizations such as Top Drawer Thrift, Casa Marianella and Dress for Success. Not only will students free up already-limited space in their rooms, but they’ll also be contributing to the Austin community.

Check the fridge

Month-old yogurt and takeout from two weeks ago should not lurk in the fridge, so toss out any spoiled or rotting food. Additionally, consider some sustainable food disposal options. Check out UT Farm Stand’s social media, as they occasionally host food scrap drop-offs for composting. After decluttering the fridge, wipe down the inside and implement a system of grouping similar food products together.

Streamline study spaces

Students should focus on keeping desks clean as doing so fosters academic success. Maximize space for work by sorting loose papers into folders and using storage such as bins for books and supplies. The Texan also recommends getting a lamp with versatile brightness settings so rooms can be given a soft ambient glow or functional studying light based on need.

Bring the outdoors indoors

Add life to rooms by placing potted plants on the windowsill or desk. Incorporating elements of nature not only adds a pop of greenery but also helps to purify the air. Opt for low-maintenance plants like succulents and snake plants to elevate the atmosphere of living spaces. 

Infuse rooms with pleasant scents

While candles are not permitted inside the dorms, students have other options when it comes to ensuring their living spaces smell nice. Alternatives like room sprays achieve the same goal without going against regulations. 

Staying organized daily

Though these tips equip students to set up for an uplifting remaining semester, cleaning dorms should be an important part of daily routines. To minimize build-up, spend a few minutes each day making the bed and putting things away.