Longhorn men’s swim & dive place seventh in NCAA Championships, Luke Hobson sets American record

Courtesy of Texas Athletics

The Texas men’s swim and dive team finished the 2024 NCAA Championships in seventh place, closing out its last season in the Big 12 conference and its last meet under head coach Eddie Reese. 

The four-day tournament resulted in several Longhorns earning All-American and honorable mention All-American titles, as well as some program records.  Junior Luke Hobson additionally set an American record in the 200-meter free.

Hobson won gold in the 200-meter free with a Texas program and overall American record time of 1:28:81. This is his second 200-meter free NCAA champion title. 

Additionally, Hobson earned a silver in the 500-meter free. An All-American in the 500-meter free, 400-meter medley relay and the 800-free relay, he also clocked in with the sixth-fastest 100-meter free time in program history with a time of 41.35 during the preliminary trials.

Swimming a sub-1:30 time is no ordinary feat, with Hobson being one of two Longhorns and one of seven swimmers total to ever accomplish it. He took his second national title by taking the lead in the last 100 yards. 

Another Texas program record was recorded by freshman Will Modglin in the 100-meter back, with a time of 44.20. Modglin earned an All-American title in the 400-meter medley relay and also performed a personal best in the 200-meter back, clocking in at 1:38.85 during prelims. 

Three Longhorns in the diving events carried home honorable mention All-American titles. Senior Noah Duperre earned the accolade for one-meter, three-meter and platform, while freshman Tanner Braunton earned the title for platform and sophomore Nick Harris carried it for the one-meter and three-meter divisions. Duperre scored in all three events for a second year in a row, while Braunton competed in the first NCAA Championship of his career.

Six total members of the Texas team earned All-American titles, with Hobson, Modglin, senior Coby Carrozza, fifth-year Jake Foster, freshman Nate Germonprez and freshman Camden Taylor earning the achievement. Several also earned honorable mentions in other events, including Braunton, Duperre, Foster, Germonprez, Harris, Hobson, Modglin and Taylor.

Overall, the Longhorns placed seventh in the four-day national meet, earning 189 points total. This is their 44th consecutive top-ten finish at the NCAA Championships under Reese, who will retire following the upcoming Olympic swimming trials in late June. His successor will be Bob Bowman, who was recently announced as the new head coach on Monday.