SafeHorns unveils new location in West Campus

Charlie Partheymuller

SafeHorns unveiled its new location, SafeHorns Place, in the heart of West Campus during a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Wednesday.

Established in 2016, SafeHorns, an advocacy group of UT parents and community members, formed in response to public safety concerns after the murder of freshman Haruka Weiser earlier that year. The ceremony marks the eighth anniversary of Weiser’s death. 

“We started (SafeHorns) because of the tragedy of losing her in such a horrible way,” SafeHorns President Joell McNew said. “It just broke us all, and we’ve always tried to come and do things with intention that were important to us and students, most importantly, and honor her memory.”

Their latest project involved transforming the basement of the Congregational Church of Austin on West 23rd Street into a new hub. McNew said SafeHorns Place’s temporary home furthers the organization’s focus on crime prevention and community engagement while revitalizing the nearby 23rd Street Austin Artist Market.

Ashley Raymond, CEO and co-founder of Safely, said hearing about Weiser’s passing and subsequent safety concerns bonded her and three other classmates who felt unsafe and wanted to do something about it. The four UT alumni founded the self-defense company Safely in response to their concerns.

“There’s so many things you shouldn’t have to think about as a student … you should feel safe,” Raymond said. “You should be focused on your academics, making friends (and) making memories that will last you forever.”

While the University and law enforcement agencies have tried to cultivate a sense of safety and prevent crime since her time on the Forty Acres, Raymond said there’s still a way to go. She said groups like SafeHorns, which Safely partners with, are a step in the right direction.

SafeHorns works in partnership with the University, the University of Texas Police Department, the Austin Police Department and other organizations to improve security on and around campus. Amongst social gatherings, the group plans to hold self-defense workshops, crime prevention sessions and an educational program with APD about drink spiking.

“I love the thought of a third place, which means it’s outside your home or a business or where you work,” McNew said. “UT is a huge city within itself, and I know students and other students … can feel very lonely … maybe this is a place where you find your people.”