Woffie’s, Cappy’s Cafes to shutdown early May

Woffies+coffee+shop+in+the+Jesse+H.+Jones+Communication+Center+is+pictured+on+Sunday.+
Champers Fu
Woffie’s coffee shop in the Jesse H. Jones Communication Center is pictured on Sunday.

Cappy’s and Woffie’s cafes, two of O’s Campus Cafe and Catering stores on campus, will close operations within the Moody College of Communication on May 2. 

Joe Sauta, owner of O’s Campus Cafe, said the college decided in early April to shut down the stores and not renew either location’s contracts as the college was looking for a “fresh approach.” When Sauta asked what a new approach meant, he said representatives didn’t elaborate.

“We’re kind of blindsided,” Sauta said. “I’m not trying to burn any bridges, but after seven years, we were pretty loyal stewards to the University. To not be given an opportunity to correct any perceived issues was a little disappointing, but it is business.” 

A Moody College spokesperson said in an email the college “appreciated” the partnership with O’s Campus Catering, but “determined a new approach is needed going forward.” They said the college will announce a new operator in the future. 

Four people are currently employed at both Cappy’s and Woffie’s, located respectively in the G. B. Dealey Center for New Media and Building A of the Jesse H. Jones Communication Center. Sauta said he would try to relocate these employees to other stores.

“I’ll do whatever I can to try and find them a position when the fall comes around, but it’s not something I can guarantee,” Sauta said. “With the summer coming up, I have to be fair to them too and say ‘Hey, there might be something, but you need to explore other options over the summer and look out for yourself.’” 

Rubi Diaz has worked for O’s Campus Cafe for 18 years, two of those at Cappy’s. She said if she isn’t relocated, her family’s income will change. 

“(My family and I) will have to extremely limit (our expenditures),” Diaz said in Spanish. “This (job) was a way to help my husband and I have a better life.” 

Woffie’s employee Maria Campos said she was overwhelmed when she heard about the shutdown. She said it was unexpected since she’s only worked at Woffie’s since July. 

“I am (hopeful about the possibility of being relocated), but at the same time, it’s nerve-wracking,” Campos said. “We all have bills to pay (and it’s worrying) because should I start looking for something or should I just wait and see what’s gonna happen?” 

Campos said that during her time working at Woffie’s, she’s become close to the community.  

“I’ve grown a nice relationship with teachers and students here to the point where I know some of their names,” Campos said. “I’m always asking how their day was, how their weekend was, their tests, finals, everything. At this point with some of them, (I have a) closer friend or family relationship. I’ll miss them.”