Foxtrot closes all four Austin locations

Pedestrians+walk+past+the+recently+shut+down+Guadalupe+Street+Foxtrot+Market+on+April+23%2C+2024.+
Manoo Sirivelu
Pedestrians walk past the recently shut down Guadalupe Street Foxtrot Market on April 23, 2024.

Foxtrot Market announced in a press release on Tuesday that all of its store locations, including the one recently opened on Guadalupe Street, are closed. 

Foxtrot, which consists of a coffee shop and small grocery market, closed all 33 of its locations including the four in Austin. The location on Guadalupe Street opened its doors just last August and now has gates blocking the front entrance. Dom’s Kitchen & Market, which Foxtrot merged with in November, also closed all of its locations.

“We explored many avenues to continue the business but found no viable option despite good faith and exhaustive efforts,” the press release said. “The decision has not been made lightly and we understand the impact it will have on … our loyal customers as well as our dedicated team members.” 

Foxtrot notified employees of the closure Tuesday morning, only a few hours before the formal public announcement. Valeria Morales, a Mexican-American studies and theater and dance sophomore, worked as a shift lead at the downtown location on Second Street. She said she got a call from her manager at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday morning with the news that she no longer had a job. 

“I was really confused and (thought) ‘Do I not come into work anymore?’ because (my manager) didn’t explicitly say ‘you’re fired’ so I thought he was joking,” Morales said. “It was just so random and out of the blue.” 

Morales said she does not rely on her parents for money and that her job at Foxtrot was her main source of income. She said she worked 30 to 35 hours a week and now has to figure out how she’s going to pay her bills. 

“My biggest concern is obviously paying my bills like rent, groceries, utilities and car insurance,” Morales said. “Right now I have to start applying to a bunch of jobs (and) I hope I can get one before the next time I have to pay rent.” 

According to merger company Dom’s Kitchen & Market’s website, Foxtrot also closed its app and any credits or perks customers have are expired.