Summer in Austin beyond the Forty Acres

Analise Pickerrell

With freshmen packing up their dorm rooms and seniors popping champagne bottles at the fountain, anticipation for summer heats up as the year’s final stretch looms right around the corner. From outdoor adventure to refreshing eats, The Daily Texan curated the ultimate bucket list to soak up the sun and experience the vibrant culture of Austin. 

The Amazing Acro-Cats

Get ready as the Long Center hosts an unforgettable performance: cats on skateboards and jumping through hoops! From April 24 to May 5, the show displays the incredible talents of rescue cats. The finale of the spectacle features the Rock Cats, who play an array of instruments. Every ticket sold supports Rock Cats Rescue.

Enjoy a snow cone at Sno-Beach

Being a walkable distance from Zilker Park, Sno-Beach serves as the perfect pitstop for a cold treat after a day of being outside. The truck features unique flavors such as coconut blue and cheesecake, paired with a variety of toppings like candy and sprinkles.

Attend the O. Henry Pun-Off

Taking place May 11, pun-lovers must prepare for a battle of wit, humor and wordplay. Contestants from far and wide gather to prepare hilarious pun routines, impressing judges and defeating their opponents. Held at the O. Henry Museum, the event embodies community spirit and includes live music and an auction.

Discover Deep Eddy Pool

Whether it be swimming laps, sunbathing or floating lazily at the water’s surface, escape the crowds at Barton Springs and head to Deep Eddy Pool. Featuring clear-blue spring waters that remain at a comfortable 70 degrees year-long, this hidden gem promises a refreshing dip. Surrounded by lush greenery, pack a picnic and complete the day by eating outside.

Eat at Franklin’s Barbecue

The Texan recommends getting here extra early (before opening) to beat the line. Despite the wait, the iconic establishment’s savory smoked meats and mouth-watering brisket make the wait worthwhile.

Experience the enchantment of Mayfield Park 

Peacocks strut freely across the park’s 23 acres of picturesque cottages and ponds. Take a break from the busy Austin landmarks and embark on a tranquil stroll through the oasis just a few miles away. After enjoying the park’s natural beauty, head to Mount Bonnell for panoramic views and the Contemporary Austin for creative exhibitions.

Play Chicken Sh*t Bingo at The Little Longhorn Saloon

Exactly what it sounds like, embrace Chicken Sh*t Bingo’s quirkiness and unpredictability by purchasing a ticket that corresponds with a random number on the table. Then, watch as a feathered friend struts across the numbered grid and leaves a mark. Join in on the fun every Sunday from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., and with enough luck, win a cash prize if the chicken poops on the number.