Juneteenth celebrations around Austin, shares historical significance

Breyona Mitchell

Each year, June 19 serves as a reminder to commemorate when news of the abolition of slavery reached Texas, marking the official end of slavery in the United States. The Daily Texan compiled a list of events in Austin that celebrate and share the historical significance of this holiday. 

June 18

Black Heritage & Black Freedom: A Juneteenth Celebration

The Thinkery, a children’s museum, will host hands-on activities and special storytimes from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Join Black leaders, community organizations and Thinkery staff as they honor this national holiday through a celebration of culture, joyful learning and community.

Upstairs At Antone’s– The Salon X Torch Literary Arts

The iconic blues venue, Antone’s Nightclub, will host an open mic night at 7 p.m. Inspired by the salons of the Harlem Renaissance, this open mic night celebrates Black, Indigenous and People of Color women lyricists in Central Texas. 50% of ticket sales support Torch Literary Arts, a nonprofit organization established to publish and promote creative writing by Black women. 

June 19

“Juneteenth: The Galveston Story” screening 

Watch a screening of “Juneteenth: The Galveston Story” at the Bullock Museum which features stories about Juneteenth as told by the descendants of the freedmen of Galveston County in 1865. The film screens at 1:30 p.m. on June 19, June 22, June 23 and June 30. The museum will host a special screening and Q&A with filmmakers on June 29 at 11 AM. 

June 20

Carrying the Torch: Remembrance and Reading for the Future

Join Torch Literary Arts for their second-annual Carrying the Torch event to acknowledge the historical significance of Juneteenth. According to the Torch Literary Arts website, “poets, writers and guest speakers will share original work to acknowledge the federal holiday and celebrate the future of African Americans in Texas.” This event, located at the Texas African American History Memorial at the Texas Capitol, will start at 7 p.m. 

June 22

The Neill-Cochran House Museum Juneteenth Celebration

The Neill Cochran House Museum will open its newest exhibition “A Juneteenth Rodeo” from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. Composed of photographs from the late 1970s, “A Juneteenth Rodeo” showcases the vibrant but vanished world of small-town Black rodeos. According to the Neill-Cochran House Museum website, the celebration commemorates “emancipation and the struggles and triumphs of those who fought for freedom, and the ongoing journey toward equality.” Free and open to the public, visitors may also tour the newly restored Slave Quarters, the only intact and accessible slave dwelling left in Austin.