6 Different Forms of Blackjack

As one of the very most popular card games, Blackjack has been played by people for many years now. It’s a game of skill and chance, with a simple goal: the objective of the game is to get as near to 21 as possible but not cross it. Do you know that there is more than one type of blackjack? With this article, you will really get to know six of the most common types of blackjack and what sets them apart.

Classic Blackjack

This is the most popular variant of the game if you want to try to play blackjack, also known as American blackjack. It’s typically played with one to eight decks of cards and follows the standard rules of blackjack: the game starts with two cards given to each player and the player can either opt for hit to get another card or stand and keep the cards that they have. The object is to have a hand that totals more than the dealer’s without exceeding 21.

The basic idea of the classic blackjack is that the dealer must take the card if his or her total value is 17 or less, including an Ace. This implies that the dealer has a higher possibility of going bust or exceeding the total of 21 points, which is quite favorable for the players. Also, a player can really double down which means that they place their bet again to receive one more card; players can also split if they are given a pair.

European Blackjack

There is also European blackjack which is quite similar to blackjack, but there are some distinctions. First of all, this is often played with two decks of cards and this changes the odds of some hands. Since there are fewer decks in use one can have a better idea of which cards have been played and can therefore play cards in response to them.

Also, the dealer receives one card at the start of the game and the player can double only in case the sum of the cards is 9, 10, or 11. This removes the chances of the players increasing their stakes, but at the same time, it gives the players a chance to make correct decisions depending on the dealer’s up card.

Spanish 21

Spanish 21 is another interesting version of the blackjack, which is played with the Spanish deck of cards which does not include tens. This hampers a player’s chance of getting a natural blackjack (an ace and a face card combination) but on the same note, the dealer gives the players more favorable rules like the double down on any number of cards.

Another important aspect of Spanish 21 is that a player can surrender his/her hand (leave the game and get half of his/her bet back) if he/she doesn’t like the hand he/she has been dealt. Also, there are some payouts for specific hands; for instance, a five-card 21 or a 6-7-8 of mixed suits. These bonuses really enhance the enthusiasm of the game and can assist the players in raising their profits.

Vegas Strip Blackjack

This variant of the game is typical of the casinos located on the Las Vegas Strip. This one is played with four decks of cards and one can double on any two cards. Also, a player can split the cards up to 3 times, hence converting one hand into four if the player gets more than one card of the same value.

Vegas Strip Blackjack also has an option of insurance (a separate bet that the dealer gets a natural blackjack) if the dealer’s upcard is an Ace. This is useful in an attempt to minimize losses when the player has a feeling that the dealer has strong cards.

Atlantic City Blackjack

Atlantic City Blackjack is very similar to Vegas Strip Blackjack with a difference of having eight decks in play and the dealer playing on one hand. This particular variation of the blackjack game permits the players to double the initial two cards that are dealt to them and to split them to a maximum of three times. However, there is one major difference and that is, the player can surrender his hand meaning he can get half his bet back and leave the game if his hand is not good.

There is also what is known as a late surrender where the player can give up his/her hand to the dealer after the dealer checks for natural blackjack. In this manner, the players are given more options and therefore can optimize on the given situation about the dealer’s up card.

Blackjack Switch

Blackjack Switch, in essence, can be singled out as a variant of blackjack that allows the player to have two hands simultaneously. Each of the hands consists of two cards and the player is given a choice to switch the top card in the dealt hands to form two new ones. This raises the strategic levels of the game as the players are provided with an option of swapping the cards or not.

Blackjack Switch also possesses and extra defeat termed ‘Super Match’ – the player is paid if the primary first four cards that he acquires constitute a pair, two pairs or three of a similar sort. This also opens another avenue for the players to attain a very good reward and all this even if they don’t get a good combination of blackjack cards.