Texas baseball fires head coach David Pierce, doing ‘best thing for program’

Kennedy Weatherby
Head baseball coach David Pierce talks to hitting and pitching development coach Chris Gordon in the dugout during Texas’ regional tournament game against Louisiana on May 31, 2024.

As it transitions to a difficult SEC baseball conference, Texas baseball will be without a prominent piece of its previous rosters, head coach David Pierce.

It was announced Monday that Texas fired Pierce from the program. This marks the end of his eight-year career at Texas after a dissatisfying end to the season, short of the college world series for the program’s second year in a row. Weeks after the end of the season, the University announced his departure. While it may seem one-sided, both Pierce and athletics director Chris Del Conte stated it was best for the program. 

“(Del Conte) and I met after the season, and we mutually agreed that the best thing for the program was to go in a different direction,” Pierce said. “It’s been an honor and privilege to lead this program for the last eight years. It certainly is a time I will always cherish as a coach, and I am so appreciative of The University of Texas for the opportunity.”

In 2021, Pierce signed a contract extension while still having two years left on his previous contract. According to the contract, Texas owes Pierce about 70% of his remaining base salary of $1.2 million. However, this is only if Pierce was fired without cause, which is still up in the air.

Pierce’s coaching career at Texas started in 2016 when he came from Tulane and led the Longhorns to three Big 12 Championships and three College World Series appearances and closed his tenure with an overall record of 295-162. Despite Pierce’s time at Texas not being completely unsuccessful, it simply didn’t live up to the anticipation that people originally had. 

This season, however, was not an accomplishment that will go under Pierce’s belt. With staff problems apparent, Pierce appointed himself as the pitching coach along with his head coach title, which ultimately created a noticeable drop in player performance. The pitcher’s total ERA rose from 4.18 to 4.91 by the end of the season and specific promising players like redshirt junior Lebarron Johnson Jr. jumped from a respectable 2.91 to 5.60.

So what will the future of Texas baseball look like now? Simply put, the Longhorns will look for a coach who can build a successful reputation for Texas in the SEC, which is currently known as one of the best baseball conferences in the nation. Del Conte and his reputation of scouting high-profile coaches, such as softball’s Mike White from Oregon, women’s basketball’s Vic Schaefer taken from Mississippi State, or, most recently, swimming and diving head coach Bob Bowman, who is coming off an Arizona State national title win, makes Texas fans hopeful for a promising new coach to solidify a successful SEC debut for Texas baseball.

Despite the hopeful future, Pierce has given eight years to the program, and his legacy and presence will be missed in the Disch-Falk field.  

“I am so grateful for Coach Pierce and all he has poured into our baseball program for the past eight years,” Del Conte said. “He is an incredible person, and I’ve truly enjoyed my time working with him. I appreciate the passion, pride and steadfast commitment he had for coaching and working with our student-athletes, and am thankful for all he’s done for Texas Athletics and our entire university community as our head coach.”