Associate dean appointed to fill provost position

Daniel Slesnick, associate dean for research, facilities and information technology in the College of Liberal Arts, was appointed the University’s new vice provost of resource management Wednesday.

Current Executive Vice Provost Stephen Monti, who has worked at the University for 43 years, announced his retirement last week. He will work closely with Slesnick to ensure a smooth transition.

Monti said Slesnick’s appointment was an excellent choice made by the institution, and they have already started working together. Slesnick will work half the time in the provost’s office while still teaching through May. During the summer, he will work full time in the provost position.

“He has a desk set up right next to mine in my office,” Monti said. “We will work together on things and he will come to all the meetings that his schedule allows to immerse him in the process.”

In his new position, Slesnick will deal with budget issues as well as facility and space development.

“[Slesnick] is a good administrator,” Monti said. “He has worked with facilities and budgets and has good common sense.”

Slesnick received his bachelor’s degree in mathematics at the University of Washington and his doctorate in economics at Harvard University.

In 1982, Slesnick started at the University as an assistant economics professor and became an associate professor in 1986. Slesnick has been a senior tenured professor since 1993.

In 2007, Slesnick became associate dean for research, facilities and information technology in the College of Liberal Arts.