Richards hopes team can improve on subpar play at Vanderbilt tournament

After two weeks off, the Longhorns head up to Oklahoma this week to compete in the Dale McNamara Invitational hosted by Tulsa University, at the Patriot Golf Club in outer Tulsa.

The squad is looking to build on the lessons learned from their last tournament at Vanderbilt, where the team finished in 13th place, with a score of 14-over par.

Texas got strong contributions from their top four players last week, but according to head coach Martha Richards, they need more out of the fifth man spot.

This week the team will look for Arizona State transfer Larissa Eruera to step into that position in her season debut and give the team the lift it needs. In her freshman year at Arizona State, Larissa Eruera had a very respectable scoring average of 77.

The other players in this week’s lineup for the Longhorns are sophomores Haley Stephens, Madison Pressel, Katelyn Sepmoree and junior Nicole Vandermade. All of these players have made important contributions in this year’s tournaments and have consistently put in low rounds to aid the team.
Stephens had the low tournament total for the team in the year opening NCAA Fall Preview Tournament. Vandermade is the team leader in birdies with 17 through the first two tournaments. Pressel holds a team low-scoring average of 73.33 after her first three competitive rounds. Sepmoree is the teams closer of sorts, with a team low final round scoring average of 72.5.

Texas comes into the tournament ranked No. 25 in the Golfweek rankings, and will compete alongside of two other ranked Big 12 schools, Oklahoma State (18th) and Oklahoma (20th), along with the rest of the 16-team field.

Playing against these talented Big 12 rivals will give the team an excellent idea of where they stand in comparison to their elite competition and show the team how much better it needs to become so it can once again move on to the NCAA Championship Tournament in the spring.