Adams leads with 16 kills to defeat No. 20 Sooners

Texas played its most balanced game of the season and overcame an early deficit to push its winning streak to three games, taking down Oklahoma in four sets. The Longhorns (11-5, 6-2 Big 12) had five players with double-digit kills, keeping the Sooner defense on its heels all night.

Texas lost the first set 19-25 but came back to win three straight 30-28, 25-17 and 25-23.

The Longhorns were equally balanced on the defensive end, with five players having nine-plus digs. Texas head coach Jerritt Elliott stressed the importance of playing a balanced match — especially in hostile road environments — and Texas delivered on both ends to string together consecutive road wins for the first time this season.

Texas outlasted Oklahoma (13-6, 5-3) in the final set, pulling away 25-23 to finish the Sooners. Oklahoma came out strong in the last frame, jumping ahead of Texas with an early 16-8 advantage. But the Longhorns showed the resilience they’ve been looking for all year on the road, overcoming an eight-point deficit to take the set and match as the Sooners gave Texas all it could handle.

After Oklahoma took the first set, Texas found itself in a familiar position — on the road and behind. The Sooners jumped out to an early 4-0 advantage and kept the Longhorns at bay, leading the entire set, as Texas was unable to get within two points. Junior middle blocker Rachael Adams exceeded her 2.9 kills-per-set average with four in the first frame but it wasn’t enough as Oklahoma won the battle at the net with five blocks while Texas had none.

The Longhorns battled back in the second set, winning 30-28 to tie the match. With the score knotted at 17, Oklahoma went on a 5-0 run, taking advantage of three Texas errors. But the Longhorns roared back to tie the set at 24 with a 7-2 run of their own. With the game up for grabs and the score tied at 28, senior outside hitter Juliann Faucette carried the Longhorns home with a kill and a block to give Texas the game.

Texas took control of the match in the third set, benefiting from five Oklahoma errors to down the Sooners 25-17. Oklahoma hung tight for the first half of the set, but with the score tied at 14 the Longhorns came through with an 11-3 run to take the set.

The Longhorns return to action at home against Texas Tech this Saturday at 6:30 p.m.