Former officer Quintana jailed for assault, trespassing charges

Leander police charged and arrested former Austin Police Officer Leonardo Quintana on Tuesday for misdemeanors, said Wayne Vincent, Austin Police Association president.

The Austin American-Statesman reported that Quintana, who is now in Williamson County Jail, faces two counts of assault, one count of criminal mischief and one count of trespassing in a confrontation with his former fiancee in October 2009.

The former officer became the center of controversy in May 2009, when he fatally shot 18-year-old Nathaniel Sanders II. Quintana received a 15-day suspension for his failure to activate his dashboard camera at the time of the incident. Quintana faced driving while intoxicated charges eight months later after he crashed his car in a Leander neighborhood. His blood alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit of .08 at the time.

APD Chief Art Acevedo fired Quintana after the DWI charges, but the former officer appealed. An arbitrator reinstated Quintana to the force on Oct. 21 on the grounds that no other officers with first-time DWI offenses had been indefinitely suspended. APD fired Quintana for the second time in five months on Oct. 27 for violating company policy following his assault allegations from his ex-fiancee.