Restaurants to replace vancancy on the Drag

Three new restaurants will debut next spring in the space where Follett’s Intellectual Property bookstore once stood on the corner of 24th and Guadalupe streets. The space will host The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Qdoba Mexican Grill and Noodles & Company.

Anita Howard, controller and marketing director for Lone Star Bean, which will operate The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, said the presence of three tenants in the building has created unique challenges.

“The planning process has taken a little longer, but we are all pleased and excited about this location,” she said.
The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf cafe will likely begin construction in December, Howard said. Construction and set up will take about three months, putting the opening time at around early March. The store, the sixth in the Austin area, will occupy the ground-level corner location on 24th and Guadalupe streets, with an entrance on both streets. Howard said the local franchise chose the location because of heavy foot traffic in the area.

A Starbucks Coffee store sits nearby at the corner of 24th and Nueces streets, but Howard said the store is not afraid of the competition.

“There are lots of potential guests in the area, and we hope to win over our share,” she said.

The Qdoba Mexican Grill will begin construction next month, said Kortney Otten, owner of franchise Q-Up Texas, LLC. The restaurant will be located on the side of 24th and San Antonio streets, directly across from Starbucks. Otten said the new location would give the franchise a greater chance to become involved in the University community.

“We feel that Qdoba brings a not only a good, fast casual alternative option but also complements the food options already in place,” she said.

Noodles & Company will open its first Texas restaurant in late spring, said corporate spokeswoman Jill Preston. The main entrance will be on the east side of the building off of Guadalupe Street.