Eleven straight for Faucette, Horns

For Juliann Faucette and the Longhorns, the hits just keep on coming.

The senior outside hitter racked up 24 kills Saturday as Texas rolled 3-1 over Texas Tech on the road to extend the Longhorns’ winning streak to 11 games.

It was Faucette’s third straight contest with at least 24 kills, and she has found a rhythm as Texas (19-5, 14-2 Big 12) enters the final stretch of the regular season.

Senior middle blocker Jen Doris and sophomore opposite hitter Sha’Dare McNeal each got in on the action with 11 kills apiece and senior outside hitter Lauren Dickson had her best game in a Longhorn uniform with eight kills and 11 digs.

McNeal and Dickson carried the Longhorns in the fourth and final set with four kills each. A Dickson kill forced set point, and McNeal put the game in the books with the last kill of the night as Texas closed out struggling Texas Tech 25-16 to wrap up the match.

Texas stormed out to an early lead in the first, thanks to a couple of early kills from Faucette and a pair by Doris during a 7-1 run that put the Longhorns out in front for good as the team opened the match with a 25-12 win.
But the Red Raiders (3-23, 1-16) rallied in the second to tie the contest as it pulled away from the Longhorns late 25-22 and overcame eight kills by Faucette.

After the break, Texas regrouped and regained the lead with a hard-fought third set. Faucette broke out with four straight kills to stretch the lead to 21-12 after McNeal got the Longhorns going with an ace and two kills during a 7-1 rally that put Texas ahead by eight. The Red Raiders came as close as 24-20, but Faucette put an end to the set with her eighth kill of the frame to give Texas the 25-20 win.

It was the Longhorns’ 20th straight win over the Red Raiders and Texas’ 14th win of its last 15 matches.

It’s been the opposite for Texas Tech this year as the Red Raiders’ latest loss was its 11th in a row.

Texas sits behind Nebraska in the Big 12 standings and is a game-and-a-half behind the Cornhuskers with four contests left on the slate.