Sogar leads charge for UT in Texas Hall of Fame meet

This weekend was highlighted by several broken records. Sophomore Laura Sogar once again dominated the pool by setting several school records, most notably in the 200 breaststroke which marked the third time this season that she has lowered her time. Although these records were the ones that excited the crowd, the personal records that were broken this weekend throughout the team was what impressed the coaches.

“It’s always nice to rewrite record books, especially at a place like Texas where there is so much history,” said head coach Kim Brackin. “We feel really good about those. There [were] a lot of girls that broke their own individual personal records, [which] to me is almost as exciting as getting the school ones.”

All of these records contributed to a convincing win where the Longhorns surpassed their competition well before the final race. They ended with 1,062 points, which was well above Arizona’s 819-point, second-place finish.

“Overall I think it was definitely a successful weekend, Maren and the rest of the team did amazing — across the board there were great swims,” Sogar said, “I can’t think of a single event where we didn’t have a person light it up.”

The diving team also contributed many points to the Longhorns’ victory. Sophomore Maren Taylor claimed first in the 1- and 3-meter springboard and redshirt sophomore Shelby Cullinan had an impressive third place finish in the 3-meter springboards.

“The women had a very good meet this weekend,” said diving head coach Matt Scoggin, “They all know they have some things, individual dives that they need to learn or improve on, but they know they are moving in the right direction.”

Texas now heads to winter training in order to get a head start on the upcoming competitions next spring. In Colorado, they hope to get back to an intensive training schedule while working on skills including starts and turns. Overall, the women look to be in good shape for the many competitions ahead on their schedule.

“I think we are a little better than I expected right now, which is exciting,” Brackin said, “I feel very confident about the position we are in and I feel like we can springboard off this meet with the work we have behind us and the momentum that the meet created.”