Muschamp moves on to become Gator’s head coach

Two years after earning the position of Texas’ head-coach-in-waiting, defensive coordinator Will Muschamp accepted the job as Florida’s top man on Saturday night.

Muschamp, who came to Austin in 2008, helped lead a Longhorn unit that topped the nation in rush defense last season. This year Texas allowed 138.58 rushing yards per game, good for No. 44 in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

“This is a dream come true to be the head coach of the Florida Gators," Muschamp said in a statement. "I grew up watching the Gators and whatever other SEC team was on television.”

Mushcamp is heading back to the Southeastern Conference after serving as Auburn’s defensive coordinator from 2006-07 and performing in the same capacity at LSU from 2002 to 2004.

“We wanted a candidate who was a relentless recruiter and was familiar with recruiting in the state of Florida. We wanted a candidate who was high energy and had been on the big stage. We wanted a candidate who was respected by his players and his peers and we wanted someone who had a passion for the University of Florida,” said Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley. “Coach Muschamp is all of those things and more.”

Mushcamp, who earned the highest salary of any coordinator in college football this season, is inheriting a Gator program that finished 7-5 in 2010 and will be facing Penn State in the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1. Previous Florida head coach Urban Meyer retired on Wednesday.