Fresh candidates prepare campaigns for SG elections

A new group of student leaders is preparing to run for Student Government after election filing began Jan. 18.

To file for a position, students must pick up and turn in a filing packet in the SG office, turn in a $20 filing fee and $20 deposit, get their picture taken and go to the Feb. 15 candidate seminar, where candidates will learn about campaigning and funding regulations.

Bernadette De La Cruz is up for re-election to represent Fine Arts. De La Cruz said she spent her first term getting student input on issues that matter to them.

“I started out talking to students in the art building last semester about campus safety,” she said. “While most students felt a little safe, there were some art students that felt the building wasn’t safe enough. I am working on getting proximity card readers installed in the building just like the ones in the architecture school.”

University-wide representative Natalie Butler also filed to run for president and said she is ready to begin work on her plans.

“I have been involved in Student Government for several years,” said Butler, who has been with SG for four years. “I want to continue the work I started to connect students to shape and improve our University.”

University-wide representative and Butler’s running mate Ashley Baker said the plan is to ensure students’ voices are heard in the budget-making process and in improving transportation for students who live off campus.

Andrew Nash, current chair of the Texas Union’s Board of Directors, filed to run for SG president for the 2011-12 school year. Nash said he would like to see the SG president focus on helping current students rather than looking too far into the future on issues such as tuition costs.

“I am running because I feel that somebody needs to take steps to getting things done and focus on tangible differences that will leave a lasting impact on the students’ college experience,” Nash said.

Campaigning for elections doesn’t start until Feb. 16 and Nash said he is anxious to get started.

“We have all kinds of ideas to get students excited not necessarily about voting and getting involved, but also get students excited about going to the University of Texas,” Nash said.

Eric Nimmer, chair of the Election Supervisory Board, said he expects the candidates to work as tirelessly as they did in the past.

“I also hope and expect a more streamlined and less confrontational election process from last year considering that the candidates now have some idea of precedent and understanding of the Board’s role,” said Nimmer, who served on last year’s board.