Early lead allows team to coast in final events versus No. 22 SMU

The sixth-ranked Texas women are rolling. It didn’t take long for the Longhorns to jump out to an early lead against No. 22 SMU on Saturday. They started the meet off by placing first and second in the 200-yard medley relay and ended up swimming their last few races as exhibition events.

It was a good night for freshmen all around — both in relays and individual events. Freshmen Ellen Lobb and Samantha Tucker and sophomores Bethany Adams and Kelsey Amundsen, claimed the first victory of the night in the 200-yard medley relay, edging out Texas’ top relay team. Lobb later went on to earn her second victory of the night in the 50-yard freestyle, an individual event.

Additionally, freshmen Alex Hooper, Lily Moldenhauer, Ashley Brewer, Lauren Ross and Catherine Wagner each finished in the top three in various events throughout the day.

Junior Karlee Bispo also had a successful day, finishing first in the 200 individual medley, closely followed by sophomore Laura Sogar.

Sophomore Jessica Guro also claimed first place in the 200-yard backstroke.

The diving portion of the SMU meet was held last weekend during the meet against Arizona. Sophomore Maren Taylor was victorious in the one-meter springboard event while redshirt sophomore Shelby Cullinan won the three-meter springboard event.

Texas earned its 137-89 victory early and ended up competing in the last two events of the afternoon as exhibition events, meaning that any earned points wouldn’t be included in the point totals.

The sixth-ranked Longhorns face Houston on Feb. 9 at the Sprint for the Cure meet in Houston. The Cougars are coming off of impressive victories against both Rice and Tulane, their Conference USA rivals.