Super Bowl gets Texans gearing up for business

Despite last week’s inclement weather conditions, businesses in the Arlington area are expecting to increase their revenue by hosting this year’s Super Bowl championship.

Super Bowl XLV is expected to generate $611 million for local establishments in Dallas and the surrounding cities. The estimate comes from an economic impact study that the National Football League commissioned last year, said Tony Fay, spokesman of the North Texas Super Bowl XLV Host Committee.

Although Cowboys Stadium only holds approximately 100,000 fans, the Dallas-Fort Worth area saw an influx of about 150,000 people during the weekend, said Diane Brandon, spokeswoman of the Arlington Convention and Visitor’s Bureau.

“There are about 105,000 going to the game,” Brandon said.

She said it could take weeks to measure the economic impact of the Super Bowl on North Texas.

Michael Brandl, UT business senior lecturer, said the most important issue concerning any Super Bowl is how much actual revenue is generated compared to expected revenue.

“Every bar, restaurant, hotel, etc., knew [Sunday] would generate more sales than a typical Super Bowl due to it being in DFW,” Brandl said. “The question is will the increased sales be as much as anticipated?”

He also said it depends on who is playing for the Bowl as Green Bay Packers fans are known to travel great distances for away games. Matt Gutierrez, manager of Austin sports bar Third Base, said that because no Texas teams made it to the Super Bowl, fewer people would be interested in going out and spending money at local sports bars.

But because the event is the biggest sports game of the year, Gutierrez said the bar should still fill to capacity.

“We are expecting a lot of traffic,” Gutierrez said. “The fact it’s in Dallas definitely will impact business [in Austin].”

Dana Burris, manager of the Courtyard by Marriott Dallas Arlington by the Ballpark, said outdoor activities ceased and the weather prevented people from enjoying the amenities the city had to offer several days before the game. Burris said despite seeing flight delays and some room cancellations, she expects a full hotel occupancy for Sunday’s game.

United Cab Service dispatcher Adrian McGuffey said it is hard to gauge the profit because of the bad weather, but the company has seen an increase in the number of out-of-town calls it receives.

“There has at least been a 30- to 40-percent increase [in calls],” he said.

Dave Rummel, Sonny Bryan’s Smokehouse general manager, said store sales decreased by 40 percent from last year because of the weather, but he expected football fans to boost their sales over the past weekend.

“We made up a big chunk of it yesterday,” Rummel said. “[Sunday] might be good enough to come back to last year’s sale. We have to have a really good day.”