News briefly

Drivers on Interstate Highway 35 and Ben White Boulevard will face frontage roads and temporary ramps because of construction this weekend.

The Texas Department of Transportation will continue construction on the flyovers, or interchange overpasses, from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. Drivers going southbound will have to take the access road at the Woodward Street exit starting at 10 p.m. Friday. Drivers heading north will have to take a temporary ramp built north of the U.S. Highway 290 and State Highway 71 exit beginning at about 1 a.m. Saturday.

“The project is adding four additional flyovers to the interchange and will help reduce traffic in the future,” said TxDOT spokesman John Hurt.

When completed, the project will connect I-35 and Ben White. The temporary ramps and frontage roads will have two lanes to help regulate the flow of traffic while under construction, Hurt said.

“We scheduled the construction on the weekends to get the least amount of traffic, as well as took other actions to keep traffic steady,” he said.

The department also needs to place steel beams over the interstate’s main lanes before the project is completely done. The project is expected to be finished this September, but Hurt said the department did not encounter many delays.

“We are ahead of schedule,” he said. “Sometimes a drought has a silver lining,” Hurt said.
All lanes are scheduled to open by Sunday afternoon.