SG candidates found innocent of breaking campaign rules

The Elections Supervisory Board ruled Friday that the executive alliance of Abel Mulugheta and Sameer Desai did not violate election codes for early campaigning.

SG presidential candidate Andrew Nash accused Mulugheta and Desai of early campaigning after Nash and his friend Veronica Becerra spotted a “Vote Abel and Sameer” TV ad at the University Teaching Center two days before official campaigning began. Nash presented the pictures of the flyers before the board during the trial.

The SG Elections Code prohibits any form of campaigning prior to the date designated by the Elections Supervisory Board, and violators could face punishments ranging from a fine to election disqualification.

After speaking with members of the campaign, Nash said the premature flier seemed to be a miscommunication, but he felt enough damage had been done for the campaign to be punished.

The defendants presented copies of e-mail correspondence between the campaign managers and Susie Brown, associate dean for business affairs at McCombs School of Business, requesting that the slides be posted from Feb. 16 to March 4. Brown said the error was a staff miscommunication and she takes full responsibility for the early post.