Freshman putts par, Texas finishes fifth in Wave invitational

The third and final day of the Bruin Wave Invitational in Santa Clara, Calif., ended with freshman Rebecca Lee-Bentham finishing even in the tournament after leading through days one and two with sub-par performances. Lee-Bentham finished round one with a one-under-par, finished round two with a two-under-par and stuck even on Wednesday with a third-round performance of over-over-par.

She had four birdies on the seventh, ninth, 10th and 15th holes but four bogeys on the first, eighth, 13th and 14th holes. The rest were even par, except for the 16th hole, which was a double bogey. Her performance was good enough for a tie for fourth place in the tournament.

Over all three days, Lee-Bentham totaled 12 birdies and only 10 bogeys or double bogeys. This tournament saw Lee-Bentham’s first below-par performance of her collegiate career during day one. She followed it up with another below-par performance on day two.

Texas finished Wednesday with a 10-over-par at the Robinson Ranch Valley course, which is a par 72. The Longhorns placed sixth as a team overall in the tournament, with a scorecard of 35-over-par, just shy of fifth place San Diego State University who ended 34-over-par.

Sophomore Madison Pressel finished 12th, not too far behind Lee-Bentham. She ended the third day with a one-over-par; her final score for the tournament was five-over-par. She finished day one of the tournament with a four-over, the second day she finished even, and third with a one-over, giving her five-over. She finished Wednesday with two birdies on the second and 17th holes and three bogeys on the fourth, eighth and 16th holes. Her tournament total was seven birdies and ten bogeys.

Sophomore Haley Stephens finished 33rd and sophomore Katelyn Sepmoree finished 45th, with a 14-over and 16-over, respectively. Rounding out the team, junior Nicole Vandermade finished 81st with a 38-over-par.

UCLA walked home with top honors, with a final score of four-under-par as a team. The top-three individual finishers of this tournament were all UCLA golfers, propelling them to the top of the leaderboard. Arizona finished second with a 16-over-par, and Pepperdine rounded out the top three with a 17-over-par.

The Longhorn’s next tournament will begin March 20 at The Battle at Rancho Bernardo Inn in San Diego.