Butler wins SG top spot

Natalie Butler and Ashley Baker are the new SG president and vice president after earning 55 percent of the vote in the runoff.

A total of 7,883 students voted in the runoff, and after a series of hearings, fines and appeals due to election code violations by both Butler's team and that of Abel Mulugheta and Sameer Desai, the Election Supervisory Board announced the winner based on votes cast.

Baker said she and Butler are thankful for all of their campaign supporters without whom the win would not have been possible.

She said she is most excited about selecting the best possible executive administration and getting to work.

"I can wait to be in office and make sure that all of our platform points are lived out," Baker said. "I want to make sure that we start this the first day on the job."

Both Butler and Baker will finish their terms as University-wide representatives before taking office in April.

Mulugheta and Desai said although they didn't win, they still want to have some type of SG involvement. Mulugheta said he is specifically interested in sitting in the SG judicial branch.

Both said they still want to see their "unity" and "accessibility" platforms lived out and will continue to encourage their communities to get involved.

"I've learned so much over the last month and I don't think it stops here," Desai said. "I will keep promoting SG to my community because at the end of the day, this administration will do a great job and we're happy for them."