Longhorns prevail in Bayou Classic

The women took home first place from the Victor Lopez Bayou Classic in Houston this weekend. The victory marks the Longhorns’ second first-place finish in a row in the outdoor season.

Eighteen schools participated in the meet, including Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Harvard.

“We had some great performances, and we are using every meet to get to where we need to be,” said head coach Beverley Kearney.

Freshman Christy Udoh led the Longhorns to victory with first-place finishes in both the 100-meter and 200-meter races. Longhorn athletes took the first three spots in the 100, Udoh was followed by freshman Allison Peter and sophomore Chalonda Goodman.

Longhorn distance runners also went 1-2-3 in the 800 run with a trio of personal bests. Sophomore Katie Hoaldridge finished first in 4 minutes, 29.23 seconds, followed by junior Anne Jones and senior Jena Cuellar.

Other first-place finishes included Danielle Dowie in the 400-meter hurdles and Amanda Van Dyke in shot put. Victoria Lucas and Shanay Briscoe took first and second places in the high jump.

The Houston meet was a warm-up for the 84th Clyde Little Field Texas Relays, which start April 6.

“This was a good meet to let us know what we need to work on and that’s what we needed to get out of it,” Kearney said. “You know we had some mix ups but it helps us to know what need to work on heading into Texas Relays.”