College Board president to quit; leaves legacy of higher standards

College Board President Gaston Caperton announced he will step down from his position effective on June 30, 2012.

The search for his replacement will begin in the next few months.

“I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to work on these important issues with such a talented and dedicated staff and board,” Caperton said in a March 25 statement.

In 1999, he was appointed the eighth president of the College Board, the organization that oversees SAT and Advanced Placement testing. During his tenure the SAT added an essay to the reading and math portions of the exam.

“During a time of great economic crisis, I am especially proud of the work we have done to open the doors of college to underserved students and I am committed to continuing this important work for the next 15 months,” Caperton said.

Bruce Walker, UT’s vice provost for special projects, has held several roles on the Board and was on the College Board’s board of trustees while Caperton was president.

“When he took over as president, the College Board was a rather stale organization that was focused mainly on tests,” Walker said. “He raised the sights of the members to look more nationally at educational issues.”

UT is a member of the College Board, which allows the University to influence board actions. Walker said there is a strong relationship between the College Board, UT and students.

“We’ll look back at his presidency as sort of a golden age of the College Board in terms of advocacy for students, particularly those who do not have access to higher education,” Walker said.