Horns come away with top-5 finish

Texas sophomore Madison Pressel finished the PING/ASU Invitational in Tempe, Ariz., tied for fourth place Sunday after starting the day tied for first overall. She slipped from No. 1 after her 5-over performance Sunday. 

In round one Friday, Pressel putted 3-under. She followed that on day two with a 2-under and, added to Sunday’s 5-over, she ended the tournament even par. She had three birdies Sunday on the fifth, eighth and 13th holes and totaled 15 birdies in all three days.

Junior Nicole Vandermade tied for seventh with a 1-over. She putted a 3-over on Sunday. She had two birdies on the fifth and 15th holes and seven birdies overall in the tournament.

Freshman Rebecca Lee-Bentham tied for 26th overall at 7-over. She ended Sunday with 6-over, bumping her score up. Junior Megan Rosenfeld tied for 31st with 8-over, and sophomore Haley Stephens rounded out the team tied for 57th with 15-over.

The Longhorns finished fourth in the tournament with 16-over. They finished behind first place UCLA, who putted 1-under, second place Southern California at 3-over and just two strokes behind Arizona at 14-over.

Sunday was the worst day of the tournament for the Longhorns. They ended the day without a single player being under-par. Both of the other days in the tournament, the Longhorns had two players under par without anyone getting higher than a 4-over. Still, the Longhorns take a top-five finish into their next tournament, which is the Big 12 Tournament starting April 22.