Longhorns go up against Sooner state this weekend

The Longhorns host their last home matches of the regular season this weekend, facing Oklahoma State and No. 22 Oklahoma. 

Ranked No. 25 in the country in the most recent ITA poll, Texas is looking to bounce back after a couple of tough losses last weekend against Texas Tech (by the score of 4-3) and Baylor (5-2).

Last time against Oklahoma State, Texas beat the Cowgirls 4-1 in the quarterfinals of the 2010 Big 12 Championships in Austin. Oklahoma State currently holds a 6-11 record, 2-4 in conference play.

The Longhorns (10-6, 5-2 Big 12) then play on Oklahoma on Sunday. Texas trounced the Sooners in their last matchup, beating them 6-1 in Norman, Okla. Oklahoma currently has a 13-4 record, 5-1 in conference.

“It’s another tough weekend in the Big 12,” said Texas head coach Patty Fendick-McCain. “Both teams are really strong, and Oklahoma has really come on strong in the past two years under new leadership. We’re looking forward to a great weekend.”

Texas sophomore Aeriel Ellis, No. 21 in Division I, is the highest-ranked singles player in either of this weekend’s events.

Texas’ senior day ceremony is scheduled to take place before the match on Sunday against Oklahoma, honoring the four-year players’ contributions. Amanda Craddock, Caroline Larsson and Maggie Mello will be recognized prior to the team’s final home contest.