Match against Raiders a must-win for slumping Horns

Texas’ season took a shot on Wednesday with a home loss to Baylor. The loss knocked Texas out of the running for the Big 12 Championship, but the Longhorns can still play for position in conference in preparation for the tournament.

Texas will host Texas Tech on Sunday in what has turned into a crucial match for the Longhorns. The loss to Baylor knocked Texas down to 1-2 in conference and 15-6 overall. The Red Raiders enter the match 1-1, and 14-6 overall, so this match will have a lot to say about positioning for the tournament.

Against Baylor, Texas got behind after losing the doubles point and was unable to recover. There were opportunities for Texas to take control of the match, but it was never able to take advantage of them. Wins from sophomores Ben Chen and Daniel Whitehead and junior Jean Andersen were not enough to give Texas a win.

Against Tech, Texas will need to return to form and win the doubles point to take a lead into singles play. Texas’ Achilles’ heel this year has been taking control and maintaining consistency in singles play. There have been opportunities, and the Longhorns have been close to turning the corner, but have not quite been able to take the next step. Texas has had potential all season, and with its back against the wall, now is the time for that potential to produce results.