Senior Nash earns broadcasting award for graduate school

2011-02-16_Womens_Basketball_Nebraska_Ryan
Ryan Edwards

Senior Kat Nash runs around a screen set by her sister Kristin in February’s win over Nebraska. Nash was awarded with the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association’s Robin Roberts Broadcasting Scholarship in March.

Though their season abruptly ended a month ago, that doesn’t mean the Longhorns haven’t been hard at work both on and off the court.

Kathleen Nash is one of those players.

Nash racked up a number of athletic awards during her tenure on the 40 Acres, but her work ethic helped her garner a number of academic awards. Most recently she was awarded the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association’s (WBCA) Robin Roberts/WBCA Broadcasting Scholarship Award.

The $4,500 scholarship is awarded to one female collegiate basketball player who intends to pursue graduate work and a career in sports communications and journalism.

“Congratulations to Kathleen,” said WBCA CEO Beth Bass when she announced Nash as the recipient in late March. “We look forward to watching you excel in your field, and hope you will put some ‘pressure’ on this award’s namesake.”

The communications field is a far cry from her undergraduate degree. Nash, a three-time Academic All-Big 12 First Team selection in 2009, 2010 and 2011, will graduate next month with a degree in finance and a minor in accounting. She was also named a five-time Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll honoree.

<strong>Former Horns return</strong>

As current Longhorn players prepare to graduate, some familiar past players have begun to trickle back onto campus.
Last week, head coach Gail Goestenkors added former Texas standout Edwina Brown to her squad of assistants in hopes of helping Texas regain elite status. Brown, who played as a Longhorn from 1996-2000, will take over as the new strength and conditioning coach.

“We are so happy to have Edwina on staff,” Goestenkors said. “She will bring her mental and physical toughness, along with her vast knowledge of the game, to our program. ‘Wink’ knows what it takes to be the very best player in the country and she will be a vital asset to the future of Texas Women’s Basketball.”

Brown is one of the program’s most decorated athletes. During her time on the 40 Acres, she was a two-time All-American and first-team All-Big 12 Conference team member. In addition to receiving the Margaret Wade Trophy award in 2000, an honor that is presented annually to the top player in college basketball, Brown is also the only player in UT history to record at least 1,700 points, 500 assists and 250 steals throughout her career. She is also a former Olympian and WNBA player.

<strong>Recruit plays All-American game</strong>

With news coming from all fronts of the Longhorn family of players, both current and past, an incoming Texas player made headlines this past month as well.

Texas signee Cassie Peoples was one of 24 players in the 10th Annual McDonald’s All-American Game on March 30.

Peoples, who competed for the West team, is only the ninth player in Texas’ history invited to play in the exhibition. The women’s McDonald’s All-American game began in 2002, and is reserved for the nation’s best high school players.

Peoples scored five points and recorded four steals and a block in 16 minutes of play. The West lost 78-66.

The Cy-Fair native is the sixth best player at her position according to the 2011 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings.