Texas ready to take on lower-seeded Cornhuskers

Texas begins its postseason today with Nebraska in the first round of the Big 12 tournament. Texas earned the No. 3 seed in the conference, while Nebraska is No. 6.

Texas last faced Nebraska on April 17 in Austin, and the Longhorns walked away with a 5-2 victory.

The other quarterfinal matches on Friday feature No. 4 seed Texas Tech taking on fifth-seeded Oklahoma and then second-seeded Texas A&M against No. 7 Oklahoma State, which was the only winless team in Big 12 play this season.

Top-seeded Baylor has a bye and will automatically advance to the semifinals to await the winner of the Texas Tech and Oklahoma match. Baylor won every match in conference and with the tournament being on its home courts, the Bears will have an advantage throughout the tournament.

“We’ve lost close matches, and we won some close matches,” said Texas head coach Michael Center. “We hope we can play our best tennis down the stretch.”

Last season, with the tournament in Austin, Texas was able to win after beating Texas Tech in the semis and Texas A&M in the finals. Texas has already beaten both Nebraska and Oklahoma State this season and split its two matches with A&M. The Longhorns lost a competitive match to Baylor, 4-3, in Austin at the beginning of this month, meaning Texas has a shot heading into the tournament.