Longhorns bring it all to Penn Relays

Texas sprinters turned in a strong performance over the weekend at the Penn Relays in Philadelphia.

The 1,600-meter relay made up of juniors Angele Cooper and Kendra Chambers, freshman Briana Nelson and senior Chantel Malone won on the final day with a season-best time of 3 minutes, 30.08 seconds.

The women ran the fastest mile relay time by a Texas squad since 2009, and the Longhorns now have the most 1,600-meter relay titles in the history of the Penn Relays. This year’s race, however, was especially close.

“I think coming out of this meet, everyone has the feeling that they can compete with the best, especially in the sprints,” said head coach Beverly Kearney. “With the four-by-400 meter relay, it’s exciting to win, and it was really a neck-and-neck relay. We were up against teams that beat us at NCAA Indoors.”

The race came down to Texas and Texas A&M, and A&M dropped the baton — giving Texas the final advantage it needed.

On Saturday, the Longhorns also placed second in the 800-meter relay in 1:30.93.

“I thought the weather today was great,” freshman Shanay Briscoe said Saturday. “Some people said it was too cold, but the cooler weather helped me.”

The Longhorn distance medley relay of Julie Amthor, Kendra Chambers, Marielle Hall and Betzy Jimenez finished 11th in 11:20.93, the best by a Texas group since 2008.

The Longhorns will spend the next two weeks training for the Big 12 Outdoor Championships, which will be held May 13-15 in Norman, Okla.

“From here, I’m going to go home and get ready for the conference meet,” Briscoe said.