Junior Goodwin to turn attention to London games

Turning his focus solely on track and field, Texas junior wide receiver Marquise Goodwin opted to redshirt the 2011 football season to train for the 2011 International Association of Athletic Federations (IAAF) World Championships, as well as qualify for the 2012 Olympics in London.

Goodwin, who will remain on football scholarship and return as a redshirt junior for the 2012 football season, took home the 2011 U.S. Outdoor Track and Field long jump national title in late June with a 27’4” jump. That jump earned Goodwin a spot on Team USA’s roster for the World Championships to be held in Daegu, South Korea, from Aug. 27 to Sept. 4.

In addition to being UT’s school record holder for the indoor long jump, Goodwin has captured three-straight Big 12 long jump titles (two outdoor and one indoor) and won the long jump Outdoor NCAA title in 2010.

“What an unbelievable accomplishment to be the U.S. long jump champion and earn a spot in the World Championships, especially at such a young age. Obviously he has established himself as one of the premier long jumpers not only in America but the world,” said Texas football head coach Mack Brown. “With the World Championships coming up and the Olympics next August, his focus needs to be on track and field.”

Despite redshirting the upcoming season, Goodwin still wants to be around the gridiron.

“I’m still going to be around football as much as possible supporting them every step of the way next season and will be ready to go with two years left when I fully return,” Goodwin said.

Printed on Friday, August 26, 2011 as: Junior Goodwin to turn attention to London games.