Big 12 Quick Hits

Texas

Redshirt freshman quarterback Connor Wood visited Colorado on Monday and was seen on the LSU campus Tuesday. If Wood were to file all the necessary transfer documents by Saturday, he would not have to sit out this year. Wood is currently third on the depth chart behind Garrett Gilbert and Case McCoy.

Oklahoma State

The Cowboys’ starting safety, senior Johnny Thomas and sophomore wide receiver Michael Harrison, have been ruled ineligible for the team’s season opener against Louisiana-Lafayette for reasons that have yet to be announced. There is no timetable for their return according to head coach Mike Gundy.

Baylor

Demetri Goodson, who spent the last two years playing basketball at Gonzaga, has joined the Baylor football program. Goodson is a native of Spring, and will start to practice as a defensive back. Because Gonzaga does not have a football program, he will be able to play immediately.

Oklahoma

Freshman receiver Trey Metoyer will attend Hargrave Military Academy this fall and will retain a full four years of eligibility with the Sooners. Freshman defensive tackle Jordan Wade will sit out the fall in order to improve his grades. Sophomore linebacker Tony Jefferson will play in the Sooners’ season opener against Tulsa this Saturday, despite reports last week saying he would not.

Iowa State

The Cyclones’ backup safety Earl Brooks will miss this season with a torn left ACL. Brooks played in all 12 games last season and was set to backup starting safety Ter’Ran Benton. Despite breaking his toe earlier this offseason, senior wide receiver Darius Reynolds has been listed as a starter on the depth chart.

Kansas

Sophomore wide receiver Erick McGriff and freshman tight end Jimmay Mundine have been suspended for two games for violating team policy. Sophomore defensive end Tyrone Sellers has also been suspended for one game for the same infraction. The Jayhawks will also be without the services of senior defensive tackle Pat Dorsey, sophomore wide receiver Chris Omigie and freshman linebacker Jake Farley because of injuries.
Possible expansion ahead for Big 12

Now that Texas A&M has officially withdrawn from the Big 12 for what seems like the fifth time, the conference is down to nine teams next season. With conference instability at an all-time high, a five-member expansion committee has been discussing possible teams to add, with BYU and Pittsburgh becoming popular early choices. SMU and Houston have also been mentioned as possible additions.