National Notebook: Tulsa, Hawaii, South Carolina and U of H

Tulsa receiver suspended over embezzlement rumors
Tulsa wide receiver and NCAA all-purpose yardage record-holder Damaris Johnson has been suspended indefinitely. The suspension comes after Johnson was questioned by Tulsa police regarding his girlfriend’s arrest on an embezzlement complaint. According to police reports, Johnson’s girlfriend Chamon Jones sold Johnson jewelry from the Macy’s where she was employed at greatly discounted prices. That’s nearly $3,000 worth of bling for just less than $15.

“We’ve taken a stance on the information that we have, but I’m not naive,” said Tulsa head coach Bill Blankenship. “I think there’s always more information, so we’re going to let this thing play out.”

Johnson has led the nation in all-purpose yards the past two seasons, and was a second team All-American choice last year.

Bar fight keeps Hawaiians from season opener
Senior outside linebacker Aaron Brown and junior wide receiver Darius Bright were arrested early Sunday morning following a fight at a Waikiki nightclub. The pair will miss the Warriors’ season opener against Colorado.

“Aaron and Darius used extremely poor judgment and in turn embarrassed the football program and the university,” said Hawaii head coach Greg McMackin on Monday. “These are two young men who have never been in trouble with the law before, but became involved in a situation where they did not make the right choices.”

It is yet to be determined whether Brown and Bright will play in Hawaii’s Sept. 10 game at Washington. The two will also face team discipline and participate in community service throughout the season.

South Carolina loses corner due to reoccuring foot injury
Akeem Auguste of South Carolina will not start against East Carolina after reinjuring his foot during practice on Monday.

“He was doing well, and then he twisted it and hurt his foot again,” said defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward. “We’ll see an evaluation in the morning. I don’t know if he reinjured to the point it was at first, but he was doing well and then all of a sudden, he made a cut on it and hurt it again.”

Senior C.C. Whitlock will start in place of Auguste. Whitlock brings experience, having started five games last season.

“If Akeem wasn’t full speed, wasn’t 100 percent, there’s no chance he was going to start. C.C. will start,” Ward said. “I’m 100 percent sure that C.C. will start.”

Bruins plan to use two QBs against Houston Cougars
Head coach Rick Neuheisel announced that junior quarterbacks Kevin Prince and Richard Brehaut will both play in the Bruins’ season opener against Houston. Prince, who has started the past two season openers, will get the first series, but Neuheisel said it’s a judgment call after that.

“After analyzing and looking at all the different strengths and weaknesses of the two youngsters, I just believe both deserve to play,” Neuheisel said. “I don’t have any idea how many reps they’ll get. I know when I decide one goes in he’s going to have my full confidence and when I decide the other is going in, he’ll have my full confidence.”

Three Buckeyes suspended for taking improper benefits
Three Ohio State players suspended for receiving impermissible benefits Junior running back Jordan Hall and defensive backs Corey Brown and Travis Howard have been suspended for Saturday’s opener against Akron. All three players received benefits of $300 or less at a charity event earlier this year. Ohio State self-reported
the violations.

“We take this matter seriously,” said athletic director Gene Smith in a statement. “Our commitment to institutional integrity is steadfast, and we must hold everyone associated with our athletics programs accountable for lapses in judgment. We believe in transparency with the NCAA, all regulatory bodies and all of Buckeye Nation.”