Big 12 Quick Hits, Texas v. BYU edition

Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Texas
Officials from these four schools along with Texas Tech, Missouri, Kansas and Baylor all refused to waive their legal right to sue Texas A&M for leaving to the Southeastern Conference. Oklahoma has been the only school to waive their rights.

“We are being held hostage right now,” said Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin. “Essentially, we’re being told that you must stay here against your will and we think that really flies in the face of what makes us Americans, for example, and makes us free people.”

Missouri
Junior running back Kendial Lawrence will miss at least four weeks after he suffered a broken fibula in the Tigers’ win over Miami (OH). Starting senior linebacker Will Ebner will miss Friday’s game against Arizona State with a high ankle sprain. Defensive end Jacquies Smith will also miss the game after dislocating his elbow against Miami.

Kansas
Freshman offensive lineman Cooper Kerns was arrested early last Saturday and was accused of carrying a fake ID. Kerns is a walk-on player and is not under scholarship at Kansas.

“We’re aware of the situation and we will handle the matter internally,” said head coach Turner Gill.

Oklahoma
Sophomore running back Jonathan Miller has decided to transfer after gaining only 20 yards on seven carries in the Sooners’ 47-14 victory over Tulsa. Miller will remain in classes in Norman this semester until he decides where to transfer. Sophomore receiver Trey Franks missed practice this week because he had his wisdom teeth removed.

Texas Tech
Starting defensive end Leon Mackey spent 24 hours in the hospital after he deflated one of his lungs on a hit in last Saturday’s win over Texas State.
“It’s up in the air how long he’ll be out,” said head coach Tommy Tuberville. “Probably several weeks, maybe more.”

Baylor/Texas A&M
Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III and Texas A&M defensive tackle Tony Jerod-Eddie were named the Big 12 Conference offensive and defensive players of the week.

Oklahoma State
Senior safety Johnny Thomas has been ruled ineligible for the season. The 5-foot-11, 205-pound Thomas who had three interceptions and 63 tackles last season also missed the Cowboys’ opener last week against Louisiana-
Lafayette.

Kansas State
Starting center Shaun Simon will miss multiple weeks according to head coach Bill Snyder. Snyder also confirmed sophomore running back John Hubert would remain the No. 1 option at running back after he tallied 91 yards last week.

Kansas
Senior receiver Raymond Patterson is doubtful for Saturday’s game with an injured groin. Sophomore wideout Christian Matthews will also miss this week’s game because of suspension.

More conference shakeup
The Big East Conference is reportedly targeting Missouri, Kansas and Kansas State as potential expansion teams. If all three were added, the Big East would grow to 12 football teams and 20 basketball squads.