Local boutiques put together perfect ACL outfits

In Texas, where the scorching heat often dictates what you wear, looking trendy and comfortable for special events, such as this weekend’s music festival, can be tricky. But with the help of experts, here are four favorite ACL looks put together by local boutiques Dog & Pony, Cream Vintage and Charm School Vintage — perfect for beating the heat, turning heads and feeling comfortable.

Dog & Pony
Star Lee, Boutique Owner

“Putting together an ACL look requires a quick weather check — important when you’re planning on being outside all day. Still infernally hot with a chance of thunderstorms, we dressed the model accordingly in Alexandre Herchcovitch for Melissa saddle shoes (plastic, rinses out, great for potential muddiness) to start. The MinkPink crinkle cut cape top will catch the breeze and keep the sun off. It’s laid back with enough drama to keep things interesting. Her distressed/studded cutoffs are done in house at Dog & Pony and [are] great for hanging out in the grass — even cuter a bit dirtied up, so ideal for festival season. Finishing touches — Cheap Monday hawk earrings and Jacqueline Rose lion cuff. We left the neck bare to keep the look from being overdone.”

Cream Vintage
Gary Massey, Sales Associate

“[The first look] is whatever’s on the summer rack. It’s one last run of your summer look before you put a jacket over it. The [second look] kind of reminds me of a young Teddy Kennedy. He is wearing bowler shoes, white shorts, an orange shirt, with a beat up, old fedora. The hat was all crumpled up. The fact that [the look] was all creased as well is pretty cool. It is almost like the morning after, like he pulls the clothes out of a big pile. The hat got squashed, the shirt is wrinkled.”

Charm School Vintage
Shari Gerstenberger, Boutique Owner

“The key to staying cool in the midst of ACL madness is to rock something breezy in a light fabric. This two-piece cotton, crop top and maxi skirt is fun with its tribal pattern and little peek of midriff, but will still keep you covered from the sun. Also, a wide brim hat like this darling black one will shade your face from those rays and give your outfit a little edge. Then throw your water bottle, sunscreen, camera and wallet into this cute leather backpack and slip on some flat, but not-too-flat, woven leather wedges, and you’ll be cool and comfortable all festival long.”

Printed on September 15, 2011 as: Dressed for the Fest