Big 12 Quick Hits: Broken bones, ineligibility, and punctured lungs

Oklahoma
Center Ben Habern will miss the Sooners’ game against Ball State this week after breaking his left forearm last week against Missouri. Wide receiver Kenny Stills returned to practice this week after sitting missing the Missouri game with concussion-like symptoms. Jordan Wade, a 6-foot-4 defensive tackle from Round Rock Stony Point High School has qualified academically and could enroll at Oklahoma at the semester break.

Oklahoma State
Senior safety Johnny Thomas, who was declared ineligible for the 2011 season by the Big 12, could earn a fifth year of eligibility if he meets certain reinstatement requirements. Sophomore cornerback Devin Hedgpeth is done for the season after he ruptured his Achilles tendon last week against Texas A&M. Senior guard Jonathan Rush also injured his knee last week and his return remains uncertain.

Kansas
The Jayhawks will receive a boost on both sides of the ball this week with several injured players returning to the lineup. Most notably, senior defensive tackle Patrick Dorsey, linebacker Tunde Bakare, cornerback Tyler Patmon on defense and center Jeremiah Hatch and receiver JaCorey Shepherd on offense. However, they will lose the services of senior receiver Daymond Patterson who has been ruled out for the remainder of the season with a groin injury.

Kansas State
Sophomore linebacker Tre Walker was named the Big 12 Conference Defensive Player of the Week after recording eight tackles against Miami last week. The last Wildcat to earn the weekly honor was safety Courtney Herndon in 2008. Rumors have been circulating that running back Bryce Brown was seen on the Tennessee campus this week. Quarterback Collin Klein received an honorable mention from the Davey O’Brien Foundation for Quarterback of the Week after he completed 12-of-18 passes for 133 yards and a score, as well as rushing for 93 yards and a touchdown last week.

Texas Tech
Running back Ben McRoy was named the Big 12 Conference Special Team Player of the Week after he returned seven kickoffs for 203 yards against Nevada. Defensive end Leon Mackey will be available this week after he partially punctured his lung in the Red Raiders’ season opener on Sept. 3. Running back Ronnie Daniels will remain suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules. Junior receiver Darrin Moore is doubtful for this week’s game against Kansas after he twisted his right knee and left ankle last week.

Iowa State
The Cyclones received a verbal commitment from the No.3 prospect in the state of Iowa for the 2012 recruiting class this week. Defensive back Charles Rogers of Iowa City West High School also drew interest from Minnesota, Michigan State and Northern Illinois and figures to make an impact on next year’s Cyclone squad. During the bye week last week, quarterback Steele Jantz practiced, but offensive tackle Kelechi Osemele did not — he instead used the bye to rest a sprained ankle. Offensive lineman Shaban Dika is expected to miss the next four to five weeks with an MCL injury.

Texas A&M
Cornerback Coryell Judie may miss another game because of a strained hamstring after being held out of last week’s game against Oklahoma State. Receiver Ryan Swope also missed practice earlier in the week after taking a big hit from an Oklahoma State defender before returning to last Saturday’s game. SEC commissioner Mike Silve said this week that he believes the Aggies will compete in the West division of their new 13-team conference.

Baylor
Sophomore cornerback Tyler Stephenson remains questionable after injuring his leg in the season opener against TCU. Redshirt freshman Levin Norwood leads the Big 12 in punt return average with 7.2 yards per return. He has returned six punts. Junior quarterback Nick Florence is expected to redshirt and retain two seasons of eligibility, as it doesn’t look like Robert Griffin is going anywhere — except the NFL next year. 

Printed on September 30, 2011 as: Big 12 Quick Hits