Texas, Oklahoma meet on soccer field

Unless you live under a rock, you may have noticed the increased activity present on the 40 Acres that can only be associated with the a good football game. The annual Red River Rivalry is this weekend and football fans everywhere will be headed to Dallas for the game. However, if you are like many die-hard Longhorn fans and don’t have the time or cannot afford to travel north up IH-35, you can get a taste of the Texas-Oklahoma rivalry right here in Austin.

At 7 p.m. tonight, Texas will face the University of Oklahoma — one of its biggest rivals — at Mike A. Myers Stadium. The Longhorns, who are 8-4 on the season and 2-2 in Big 12 play, are coming off a huge road win against Missouri.

Currently, Texas leads the series 8-7-1 and 5-1-1 while playing at home. Last season, Texas dropped the regular season match 2-1 after two overtimes at home. The Longhorns and the Sooners faced off again in the Big 12 Championship tournament where the Sooners once again won by a score of 1-0.

Oklahoma, who is 5-8 on the season and 0-2 in the Big 12, will face their first conference opponent on the road tonight. Last season, after being picked to finish 10th in the league, the Sooners tied for third in the Big 12 and finished second in the Big 12 Championship Tournament behind Oklahoma State. They are returning most of their starters.

With senior Kylie Doniak still out because of injury, the Longhorns will have to rely on senior Taylor Knaack and juniors Hannah Higgins and Vanessa Ibewuike to lead them past the Sooners.

The three forwards will have help from senior defender Lucy Keith. Keith, the team captain, was recently named Student Athlete of the Month by the Longhorn athletic department for her performances in the classroom. This season, she has started in every game this season and has scored two goals and been credited with two assists.