Co-op boots reward in Student Government website scavenger hunt

Student Government has created an online scavenger hunt of questions and answers about their website for “Win Week,” a social media blitz in celebration of SG’s revamped website, according to SG officials.

Each day this week, SG will post a question about the new website on their Facebook page and post hints to the answer on their Twitter account, said SG spokesperson Sydney Fazende. Students who answer the questions will have chances to win prizes each day, leading up to the chance to win a pair of Co-op Longhorn boots on Friday, Fazende said. The questions will encourage students to explore UTSG.org for the answers and find some of the new components of the website, Fazende said.

The revamped UTSG.org will allow SG members to update the website faster than ever before and give students access to resources where they can reserve rooms in the Student Activities Center, register student organizations, apply for funding and other things they weren’t able to do on the old website, Fazende said.

“It’s unprecedented,” Fazende said. “It’s another way for SG to be a little more transparent. I want to make SG accessible in the most and best ways possible.”

As the days progress, the window of time for submitting answers will get smaller, Fazende said. Funds from Co-op boots go towards the Rebecca Carreon Scholarship, which is based on merit and need, she said.

The new website, which will include a calendar with dates for SG and other student organizations that SG provides funding for, will be a good way for students to keep track of what’s going on around campus, SG president Natalie Butler said.

“We’re really excited,” she said. “It’s a useful way for students to get what they need and find out what’s going on around campus and in Student Government.”

The question and answer system is a fun way to get the word out about the revamped UTSG.org, journalism freshman Stephanie Jones said. As long as students take the time to actually look through the website instead of answering questions quickly just to win a prize, “Win Week” will be a good way to educate students about the website, Jones said.

“The prizes are a good way to get people to answer questions,” she said. “I think it’s a good idea if it’s publicized well enough.”

Printed on October 11, 2011 as: SG online scavenger hunt promotes updated website