Longhorns sweep Tech

The No. 10 Longhorns had their second sweep in a row with a 3-0 win over Texas Tech on Wednesday.

Bailey Webster had an impressive 11 kills on .320 hitting and middle blocker Rachael Adams finished the game with seven kills and hit at a .600 clip.

The Longhorns dominated the first set and Webster had six kills.

The beginning of the set was close, but by Texas’ 16th point, the Longhorns started pulling away with the lead. Four kills each from Adams and Haley Eckerman aided the Longhorns in their 25-17 first set win over the Red Raiders.

Texas had an impressive 17 kills in the set and a .344 hitting percentage.

Amber Roberson held her own with seven digs, half of the team’s total in the set.

The Longhorns got an early 6-3 lead in the second set and didn’t look back. A service ace by Hannah Allison improved Texas’ lead to 12-5. The Red Raiders would only get six more points in the set and a kill by Eckerman would finish the set 25-11.

Eckerman finished the set with four kills. Ashley Bannister was substituted in during the set and made an impact. She had three kills and a dig. The Longhorns (12-4; 4-1 Big 12) finished the set with a .462 hitting percentage, while Texas Tech had .053 hitting percentage.

Amber Roberson had three digs by the end of the second set.

“[Head coach] Jerritt [Elliott] talks about trust and knowing that Amber is working really hard and everyone else is working really hard on our defense,” Eckerman said. “That’s trust for us to know that they’re going to get it to the setter, the setter is going to get it to us.”

The Longhorns started out strong in the third set and took a 15-7 lead. But once Elliott put in substitutes, the Red Raiders were determined to win the set. At one point in the third set, Texas was outhitting Tech .349 to .040. The Longhorns had a 24-19 lead, but a surge by Tech brought the score much closer. But a kill by Haley Cameron ended the game 25-22.

With Sha’Dare McNeal back in the starting lineup, the Longhorns had some adjustments to make, but after sorting out some passing problems in the first set, they took the win with ease.

“With the new lineup, there’s going to be some relationship issues,” Elliott said.

“But the things we thought we would get out of this lineup and knew that we would get is a lot more balance from our team.”

Printed on Thursday, October 13, 2011 as: Eckerman, Adams lead UT in sweep