Horns defeat Bears

Texas continued its winning streak on Wednesday night, defeating Baylor 3-1 in Waco. The Longhorns have now won five games in a row.

Senior middle blocker Rachael Adams had 13 kills and .500 hitting, and freshman Haley Eckerman, who was named Big 12 Rookie of the Week several days ago, impressed again with .387 hitting and led the team with 15 kills.

Texas (13-4; 6-1 Big 12) took an early lead in the first set and had an 8-0 run. Sophomore outside hitter Bailey Webster had two kills and a solo block in the run. She had 14 kills in the game. The Longhorns eventually had an 18-8 lead and never looked back. Adams had three kills late in the set.

The Longhorns fell behind early in the second set, and Baylor had a 6-1 run. The Longhorns couldn’t come back, and the Bears continued to dominate, finishing the set 25-16.

The Longhorns came back with a vengeance in the third set. They took a 16-8 lead, and a 5-1 run gave Texas a 23-13 lead. Eckerman’s seventh kill of the set finished it off with Texas winning the set 25-15.

Freshman Khat Bell and sophomore Hannah Allison both had a pair of blocks to lead the Longhorns on a 6-0 run. Bell had eight blocks in the game, a career high. Allison had an impressive 43 assists and 10 digs. Their assistance in the run gave the team a 11-4 lead. Texas had as large of a lead as nine in the set, but the Bears continued pushing and made the score as close as 22-17. But kills by Eckerman and Adams finished the set 2-19.

Texas hit .310 in the game, the fourth time in a row the team has hit .300 or better.

Printed on Thursday, October 20th, 2011 as: Longhorns continue win streak, down Baylor in Waco