Ellis advanced to semifinals of tournament this weekend

Following this weekend’s ITA Texas Regional Championship, junior Aeriel Ellis survived as the only Longhorn to reach the semifinals. Ellis, along with senior Krista Damico, built on her previous doubles success during the tournament but eventually met defeat in the doubles quarterfinal. Meanwhile, the Texas doubles duo sophomore Cierra Gaytan-Leach and freshman Noel Scott also fell in the quarterfinals.

The weekend proved overall a success for Texas, as six players moved into the singles round of 32. The Longhorns have proved to be a formidable doubles force so far this season, but this tournament displayed the depth of their singles lineup.

The ITA Texas Regional Championship is one Ellis presumably enjoys after wining the title her freshman year. Ellis moved through the tournament with considerable ease, especially in her quarterfinal match where she only needed to post one game before her opponent retired. Head coach Patty Fendick-McCain had hoped Texas would win this tournament but Ellis retired in her semifinal match against Texas A&M’s Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar. Ellis, however, did qualify for the ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Championships next week in New York City.

Printed on Tuesday, October 25, 2011, as: Ellis falls in ITA Texas Regional semis, qualifies for national championships