Keys of the Game: Week 11

2-5
This is the number that most will be familiar with. Kansas State is the only other school in the Big 12 that has a winning record against Texas other than Oklahoma. Texas’ only two wins over Kansas State came in the 2002 and 2003 season. The Kansas State losses are some of the worst in Mack Brown’s career. He lost to the Wildcats by 18 points in 1999, by 41 points in Manhattan in 1998, by 20 at home in 2007 and by 25 last year in Manhattan. Texas’ only two wins against the Wildcats were by three points in ‘02, and by four points in ‘03. Texas’ record in seasons that it plays Kansas State is 64-26 with a 71-percent winning percentage. His record in season without Kansas State on the schedule is 69-8 with a 90-percent win percentage. Mack Brown’s four best seasons-2004, 2005, 2008 and 2009 — which had a combined record of 49-3 all came without Kansas State on the schedule. Historically, Texas is only 5-6 against Kansas State, with most of those wins coming before World War II, and two of those coming before the even the AP Poll existed.

Powerless Running
Texas was held to 76 rushing yards against Missouri, after having run for 400+ yards in the previous two games. That is the lowest rushing total since the Red River Rivalry where Oklahoma held Texas to 36 yards rushing. Texas has rushed for at least 145 yards in every other game this season. Texas was without its top-three rushers last week with Malcolm Brown and Joe Bergeron being held out of the game and Fozzy Whittaker tearing two ligaments in his knee after four carries. The Longhorns have outrushed 10 opponents this season, winning nine of those games with the only loss coming to Oklahoma State. Texas’ chances of winning lies on the health of the legs of Brown and Bergeron.

Small Ball
In their last six meetings, the winner of the game between the Longhorns and the Wildcats was outgained by the other. In 2002 and 2003, Kansas State got the most total yards and outrushed Texas. But Texas gained more yards through the air in two wins. In ‘06, ‘07 and ‘10, Texas outgained the Wildcats in three losses and outrushed them in ‘06 and ‘07. In 1999, Texas outgained Kansas State by 28 yards and passed for nearly 100 more than the Wildcats. The only game in which the winner had the most total yards was the first meeting under Brown in 1998. Kansas State outrushed the Longhorns by 170 yards, yet were beaten in the passing game by 57 yards.

Rebounding
Under Mack Brown, Texas has only been held under 20 points 23 times — only 13 percent of the time while at Texas. Last week’s five-point performance was the lowest offensive output since being held to a single touchdown twice in 2006. The only lower scores came in 2004 where the Longhorns were shut out by Oklahoma in a 12-0 loss and again versus the Sooners in a 3-14 loss in 2001. Kansas State has held Texas to less than 20 points in three of its wins in 1998, 1999 and last year’s contest. Texas is 11-7, following sub-20 point games under Mack Brown (with some of those games coming as the last game of the season, with no following game) and is averaging just more than 30 points in those games. Under Brown, Texas has only been held to less than 20 points in consecutive games twice. The most recent was last year, where the Longhorns were held to 30 combined points against Kansas State and Oklahoma State and in three consecutive games at the conclusion of the 1999 season.