‘Being Human’ brings different twist to supernatural genre

PRESS_0125_Human
Jeff Riedel/Syfy

“Being Human” stars Sam Huntington, Sam Witwer, and Meaghan Rath, who are three housemates who try to live a normal life despite being a werewolf, a vampire, and a ghost. (Photo courtesy of Syfy)

Being Human,” originally a BBC original series, has been adapted for U.S. audiences by the Syfy channel. Based in Boston, the show follows a werewolf, a vampire and a ghost that decide to live with each other and attempt to create a normal life for themselves. However, they find that nothing is ever that simple. Now in its second season, which premiered on Jan. 16, the series continues to follow these three supernatural roommates that want nothing more than to forget their horrific pasts and find a peaceful normal life.

Aiden the vampire (Sam Witwer), leads the cast with his charm and chaotic past. Working as a nurse in a Boston hospital, he is plagued by the reminder of the one thing he can never achieve in his life: death. Alongside Aiden, working as an orderly in the same hospital, is Josh (Sam Huntington), a werewolf. Once a promising student headed for medical school and engaged to the girl of his dreams, Josh is neurotic and adorably dorky, and gives the show a touch of comic relief. Finally rounding out the cast is Sally the ghost, played by Meaghan Rath. Her supernatural state of limbo presents the questions of life after death and what a ghost does with their time before they can move on.

“Being Human” delivers by bringing a new twist to the old vampire/werewolf dynamics that have been plaguing the current slew of movies, TV and books. The bromance between the vampire and werewolf really provides an “odd couple” sensibility to the show. By deciding to change their lives around and rebel against their monstrous natures, the duo agrees to stop killing innocents to feed on. Both also deal with a painful past of lost love, gruesome murders and a dream to be free from the ongoing battle between vampires and werewolves.

Adding Sally, the ghost, to the storyline supplies the narrative with a different perspective on life after death. “Being Human” tries to answer many unanswered questions, such as what a ghost must do before they are able to rest in peace, what a ghost’s abilities are and how ghosts interact with one another while waiting in limbo. Her journey really brings the show out front from other fantasy shows in dealing with this unknown topic.

Overall the show asks what it means to be a human being. Is it human nature to help others? Is it in our ability to control our basic human urges? We may never agree upon these questions, but one thing for sure: “Being Human” can be a cure for your Monday blues.