Texas looks to rebound from loss with two victories in tournament this weekend

The No. 15 ranked Texas Longhorns return to the courts this weekend with a higher ranking after an upset win over No. 4 North Carolina, and will try to build upon that success by earning a spot in the indoor championships in February.

Texas, which is 1-1, will travel to Nashville to participate in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend hosted by No. 17 Vanderbilt. The Longhorns will face Alabama tomorrow, and the winner will meet up with the victor of Vanderbilt and Arizona’s match on Sunday.

Across the country, 14 other schools serve as hosts for four teams in each city. Each team is guaranteed two matches, with the 15 teams that win both matches earning a spot in the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, which will take place Feb. 10-13 at Charlottesville, Va.

The Longhorns are led by junior Aeriel Ellis, who is ranked No. 47, and freshman Noel Scott, who holds the No. 119 ranking.

The team is coming off a weekend in New York where they upset the No. 4 team in the country, North Carolina, in a tight 4-3 win. Other Longhorns that contributed to the win included sophomore Cierra Gaytan-Leach, who knocked off UNC’s No. 55 ranked freshman Caroline Price, freshman Lina Padegimaite and sophomore Elizabeth Begley.

The Longhorns couldn’t pull off another upset the following day, and fell to No. 9 Virginia.