Longhorns post win, bounce back from first loss of the season

The Longhorns traveled to the east this weekend where they were handed their first loss of the season, but were able to rebound by pulling out a tight win over another top 20 team.

On Sunday, No. 17 North Carolina jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after posting wins at the number two and three double spots. Texas’ lone doubles win came from freshman Soren Hess-Olesen and junior Alex Hilliard, who defeated Esben Hess-Olesen, Soren’s twin brother, and Brennan Boyajian 8-3.

The Longhorns evened the score one-all when junior Daniel Whitehead defeated Boyajian 6-1, 6-2 at the number two singles spot. The Tar Heels added another point with a win by William Parker over freshman Joey Swaysland, 6-3, 6-3. Texas evened the score again at two-all with junior Chris Camillone’s 6-4, 6-3 defeat of Oystein Steiro. Sophomore Sudanwa Sitaram gave the Longhorns their first lead of the day with his three set defeat of Esben Hess-Olesen, 6-4, 0-6, 7-6 (3). Clinching the win for Texas was newcomer Lloyd Glasspool, who joined the team at the beginning of the year and who defeated UNC’s Joey Burkhardt 6-1, 3-6, 6-1.

On Friday, No. 2 Virginia handed the Longhorns their first loss of the year, 7-0. The Cavaliers jumped out to an early lead after sweeping all three matches to claim the doubles point.

“We got a little overpowered in doubles for the first time this season,” said head coach Michael Center. “We did some good things, but we have a lot to learn.”

Virginia added to their total with straight-set wins at the number two, one and three singles spots. Sitaram, playing at the number three spot, took the number one ranked player in the country to a third set, but couldn’t close it out, falling 10-3 in the third set tiebreaker. Glasspool also challenged his opponent at the number four spot, but also fell in the third set tiebreaker, 7-6.

The Longhorns return to action this Friday when they take on Texas A&M at Houston for the Texas Cup.