Longhorns drop tight match against rival Aggies, rebound with win over Islanders

The Longhorns took to the road this weekend and split their matches with a loss to in-state rival Texas A&M, and a decisive victory over Texas A&M Corpus Christi.

On Friday, the Longhorns battled it out against No. 11 Texas A&M in Houston for the Texas Cup. The Aggies walked away with the victory, 4-3.

“This was an unbelievable match,” said Texas head coach Michael Center.

The Aggies got on the scoreboard first after claiming the doubles point. At the number one spot, Junior Ore and Jackson Withrow defeated Soren Hess-Olesen and Alex Hilliard, 9-7, while Colin Hoover and John Lewis squeezed by Chris Camillone and David Holiner, 8-6. The lone Texas victory came from the number three spot where Sudanwa Sitaram and Daniel Whitehead defeated Jordan Szabo and Alexis Klegou, 8-6.

In the deciding match, Hess-Olesen fought back to claim the second set after losing the first in a tiebreak, but was unable to hold off Klegou in the third, losing 6-7, 6-1, 4-6.

“We had opportunities in the doubles to win that point, and we didn’t get it,” Center said. “We lost a couple of first-set tiebreakers, but our guys kept fighting to turn the match around. Texas A&M hit some good shots and made some plays in the end. This was just a great college tennis match.”

Texas returned to the courts on Sunday against Texas A&M Corpus Christi, cruising to a 6-1 victory in a dual that was moved indoors because of the weather.

The Longhorns will return to action this weekend when they travel to Charlottesville to participate in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Men’s Team Indoor Championships.

Printed on Monday, February 13, 2012 as: Horns downed by Aggies in 'unbelievable' contest