Longhorns in fourth place at Puerto Rico Invite

The Longhorns are in somewhat unfamiliar territory after the first day of the Puerto Rico Invite, as Texas sits tied for fourth place after one round of play.

No. 1 Texas, winner of its past four events, matched par with a score of 288 to tie Virginia Tech. Alabama shot a 276 (-12) to claim first place after day one with Clemson shooting a 283 (-5) and Oklahoma shooting a 284 (-4) for second and third place, respectively.

The Longhorns are without freshman Jordan Spieth, the top-ranked collegiate golfer, as he is coming off of competing in a PGA Tour event this past week.

Senior Dylan Fritelli, the NCAA’s second ranked golfer, led the Longhorns after one round with a score of 70 (-2), tying him for sixth place on the individual leaderboard.

Sophomore Toni Hakula tied for 17th place after shooting a 71 (-1), with junior Cody Gribble (73, +1), junior Julio Vegas (74, +2) and freshman Kramer Hickok (75, +3) being the others to compete for the Longhorns. Alabama’s Justin Thomas led all scorers with a five-under-67.

Texas is looking to win its fifth consecutive tournament and second of the spring season, but after one day it has some catching up to do. The Longhorns have two more days to close the gap and extend their win streak to five.