CPR training prepares participants for crisis

2012-03-05_CPR_Training_Test_LingnanChen0075
Lingnan Chen

A student practices CPR on a baby doll at a CPR on a baby doll at a CPR training class held by th American Red Cross Club Saturday. The course gave citizens the opportunity to learn the life-saving technique at a discounted price.

CPR training teaches critical life-saving skills crucial to survival in the face of unexpected medical emergencies.

The American Red Cross Club of UT put on their 10th annual mass CPR training on Saturday with over 100 earning certifications. The training was funded by UT and provided all students, staff members and Austinites the opportunity to learn CPR at a discounted cost. CPR, or cardiopulmonary resuscitation, is an emergency procedure which aims to manually sustain bodily function until further medical services can be provided.

Sarah Weise, UT Red Cross member and advertising senior, said it is important for people to learn CPR because it can be extremely useful, especially at a school the size of UT.

“With such a large student body, an emergency can happen any time and any place,” she said. “We want everyone to be confident they can handle those types of situations.”

Weise said students learning CPR would also make students likely to be more attentive of potential emergencies around them.

“It would definitely make people more aware of their surroundings,” she said. “We want people to know what to do and what to look for in case anything were to ever happen.”

Weise said providing CPR training to students and staff makes the campus a more protected place.

“I think anyone would feel safer knowing the people around them are trained in CPR,” she said.

Latin American studies freshman Rosalva Medina said CPR is useful because of the unpredictable nature of emergencies.

“You never know when someone might need help from you, whether they’re choking or something else,” she said. “For you to be certified in that area — for you to actually know what you’re doing — it can help save a life.”

Medina said she thinks that having CPR-certified students and staff around campus will reduce the fears of many anxious parents.

“I think it’s important in helping to put at ease the minds of worrisome mothers, knowing that there are people around who can assist people in need, including their children,” she said.

Medina said she thinks the most important aspect of being CPR certified is that it gives you the confidence and knowledge to stay calm in emergencies.

“If you’re prepared and know the steps to take, then once a situation arises you’ll know what to do,” she said.

Printed on Monday, March 5, 2012 as: CPR training prepares participants for crisis